DuckTales (2017 TV series)
|Theme music composer||Mark Mueller|
by Felicia Barton
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||3 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Matt Youngberg|
|Production company(s)||Disney Television Animation|
|Original network||Disney XD|
|Original release||August 12, 2017– present|
DuckTales is an American animated television series developed by Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones for Disney XD. Produced by Disney Television Animation, the series is a reboot of the original 1987 series of the same name. DuckTales was announced in February 2015 and premiered on August 12, 2017 with a 44 minute special entitled "Woo-oo!". The first season, which resumed on September 23, 2017, will consist of 21 twenty two minute episodes and an additional 44 minute special. The series was renewed for a second season on March 2, 2017.
After not speaking to each other for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he asks Scrooge to watch his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie for the day. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge's spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring.
- David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck
- Danny Pudi as Huey Duck
- Ben Schwartz as Dewey Duck
- Bobby Moynihan as Louie Duck
- Kate Micucci as Webby Vanderquack
- Beck Bennett as Launchpad McQuack
- Toks Olagundoye as Mrs. Beakley
- Tony Anselmo as Donald Duck
- Eric Bauza as the Beagle Boys
- Margo Martindale as Ma Beagle
- Jim Rash as Gyro Gearloose
Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones grew up watching the original series and had always wanted to develop an updated version for a newer generation. Youngberg said, "We're hoping that in thirty years, the kids who watch our show will then be bringing back the next version of DuckTales because they loved what we did so much."
In May 2015, Terry McGovern, the original voice of Launchpad McQuack, stated in an interview that the entire voice cast from the original series would not be returning for the reboot, which made him "heartsick" at the news. The new voice cast for the series was revealed on December 16, 2016 in a video where they sing an a cappella version of the original theme song. The following May, Lin-Manuel Miranda was announced as the voice of Fenton Crackshell / Gizmoduck. The character was changed to being Latino due to Lin-Manuel's heritage and because Angones felt that there were not enough positive Latino superheroes. In June, more cast members, including Tony Anselmo reprising his role as Donald Duck, were announced.
The art style of the show is heavily influenced not just by Carl Barks' original Uncle Scrooge comics, but also some of Barks' paintings. The theme song, written by Mark Mueller for the 1987 series, was re-recorded and performed for the 2017 reboot by Felicia Barton.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Storyboard by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|Story by : Francisco Angones, Colleen Evanson,
Noelle Stevenson, Madison Bateman, Nate Federman, Matt Youngberg
Teleplay by : Francisco Angones
|Emmy Cicierega, Ben Holm, Jason Reicher
David Baker, Matthew Humphreys, Tanner Johnson
|August 12, 2017||0.28[a]|
|Donald Duck reluctantly leaves his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie with his estranged uncle Scrooge McDuck, while he goes on a job interview. After Scrooge locks the boys into a room for making fun of him, the triplets come across Webby Vanderquack who befriends them and shows off a collection of relics and artifacts that Scrooge and Donald found, only to accidentally release various ancients evils housed in them. After the kids help him to contain, Scrooge finds his thirst for adventure rekindled and decides to take all, along with his pilot Launchpad McQuack, to find the the Lost Jewel of Atlantis. However, the group are unaware that Scrooge's rival, Flintheart Glomgold, seeks the jewel and has hired Donald as his sailor, leading to race against time to claim the relic. In the end, Donald and the triplet move into McDuck Manor after an accident loses them their houseboat, while Dewey discovers something secret within a painting in Scrooge's collection.|
|2||"Daytrip of Doom!"||Dana Terrace||Story by : Francisco Angones, Colleen Evanson,
Bob Snow, Matt Youngberg, Madison Bateman, Christian Magalhaes, Rachel Vine
Teleplay by : Rachel Vine
|Emmy Cicierega, Ben Holm, Jason Reicher||September 23, 2017||TBD|
|Huey, Dewey and Louie decide to teach Webby how to have fun by taking her with them to Funso's Fun Zone. However, this proves disastrous, as she struggles to adjust to life outside McDuck Manor and ruins the triplets' fun. Things soon take a turn for the worse, when the Beagle Boys decide to capture them in the hopes of ransoming them off to Scrooge, much to the disapproval of Ma Beagle. When Donald and Mrs. Beakley, who get on each other's nerves following recent problems, learn of this, they soon race to Funso's to rescue the children, while the nephews decide to trust in Webby when she proves how resourceful she can be.|
|3||"The Great Dime Chase!"||John Aoshima||Story by : Francisco Angones, Colleen Evanson,
Bob Snow, Madison Bateman, Christian Magalhaes, Matt Youngberg
Teleplay by : Madison Bateman
|David Baker, Matthew Humphreys, Tanner Johnson||September 23, 2017||TBD|
|Annoyed at how lazy Louie is, Scrooge takes him along to a conference at his money bin in order to teach him the value of hard work. When Louie accidentally spends Scrooge's Number One Dime in order to purchase a soda, he decides to use Gyro Gearloose's robotic lightbulb, Little Bulb, to get it back, only to cause it to gain sentience and become a giant coin-collecting robot, forcing him to get help from Gyro and Scrooge to stop it. Meanwhile, Dewey and Webby visit the McDuck archives to find out the mystery behind the nephew's missing mother Della Duck, but are infuriated by the cryptic riddles of the archives keeper Emily Quackfaster, who soon causes them problems before they stumble on Della's hidden archives.|
|4||"The Beagle Birthday Massacre!"||TBA||TBA||TBA||September 30, 2017||TBD|
|5||"Escape To/From Atlantis!"||TBA||TBA||TBA||October 3, 2017||TBD|
|6||"Terror of the Terra-firmians!"||TBA||TBA||TBA||October 7, 2017||TBD|
|7||"The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!"||TBA||TBA||TBA||October 14, 2017||TBD|
|8||"The House of the Lucky Gander!"||TBA||TBA||TBA||October 21, 2017||TBD|
|9||"The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra!"||TBA||TBA||TBA||October 28, 2017||TBD|
Promotion and release
On March 10, 2017, a trailer for the series aired on Disney Channel during the premiere of Tangled: Before Ever After.
On June 14, 2017, the title sequence for the series, featuring a re-recording of the theme song written by Mark Mueller and performed by Felicia Barton, was released. The one-hour pilot, titled Woo-oo!, premiered on August 12 at 12:00am EST and was repeated consecutively for the next 24 hours. Two days later on August 14, the pilot was also released on YouTube. The pilot also aired on Disney Channel on September 17, 2017. The series officially premiered on September 23, 2017, coinciding with the original show's 30th anniversary. An ongoing comic series from IDW Comics based on the show is planned to begin releasing on September 27, 2017. September 27 is the release date of Ducktales #1; Ducktales #0 was released on July 19, 2017. At the 2017 San Diego Comic Con, Disney announced that Darkwing Duck would also make an appearance in the TV series.
- This is the total viewers number only for the first hour of the event (12:00 AM to 1:00 AM). The entire 24-hour premiere event reached 5.4 million total viewers.
- Speelman, Tom (August 12, 2017). "DuckTales: The Disney Comics That Inspired The Cartoon Classic". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Fuller, Becky (December 7, 2016). "DuckTales Reboot Teaser Confirms Summer 2017 Premiere Date". Screen Rants. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (June 14, 2017). "‘DuckTales’: Cartoon Reboot Gets Premiere Date On Disney XD". Deadline. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Calvario, Liz (March 2, 2017). "Disney XD Renews 'DuckTales' Ahead Of Launch, Unveils First-Look Video". Deadline. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- Mason, Heather (July 22, 2017). "SDCC 2017: DuckTales Creators Talk Gizmoduck and Casting Lin-Manuel Miranda". Syfy Wire. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- "Ducktales Cast Not Returning for Reboot". Behind the Voice Actors. OptimusSolo. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- Petski, Denise (December 16, 2016). "'DuckTales': David Tennant, Danny Pudi, Ben Schwartz Among Voice Cast for Disney XD Reboot". Deadline. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- "'DuckTales' Exclusive: Meet the New Faces of Duckburg". June 8, 2017.
- Brown, Tracy (June 14, 2017). "Watch the new 'DuckTales' opening title sequence, woo-ooo!" – via LA Times.
- Disney XD (August 12, 2017). "[Disney XD video about DuckTales art style]". Facebook. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (June 14, 2017). "'DuckTales' Theme Song Gets an Update for Disney XD Reboot". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Metcalf, Mitch (August 14, 2017). "ShowBuzz Daily’s Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 8.11.2017". ShowBuzz Daily. Retrieved August 25, 2017.
- "Disney XD's "DuckTales" Premieres With Over 1-Year Network Highs and #1 Time Period Ranking Among Boy Demographics". Disney ABC Press. August 28, 2017. Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- "DuckTales - Episode Guide". Zap2It. August 12, 2017. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- Prudom, Laura. "Here's how 'DuckTales' reimagined that iconic theme song for Disney's reboot". Mashable.
- "Woo-oo! (Full Episode) | DuckTales | Disney XD". YouTube. Disney XD. August 14, 2017. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- "The DuckTales Reboot Finally Has a Premiere Date".
- "Disney’s DUCKTALES Returns to Comics This Fall - Nerdist". June 16, 2017.
- Snetiker, Marc (July 21, 2017). "Darkwing Duck is headed to DuckTales revival". Entertainment Weekly.